Thursday, November 8, 2012

Marcy Hatch's Current Query

Brrr! The one and only nice thing about rising before the break of dawn is getting a good look at the night sky while I take my dog out to pee. The moon was about a quarter-nail this morning, and still hung low in the east, but the stars were bright, and shone like frost in the firmament.

Or maybe it was just the ice on my windshield.

Ahem. Now, we have a query from one of my favorite bloggers. If you don't know Marcy, you're definitely missing out. Her and Dianne's first impressions are some of my very favorite posts. You can find Marcy's blog at Mainewords.

Here's her query:

Dear Agent:

The last thing 17-year old Kassandra Dyer remembers is falling. When she wakes up in the dark it’s hours later and somehow she has miraculously survived a fall that should’ve killed her. Stranger still is the fact that no one is looking for her. After all, she’s a missing teen. There should be helicopters and flood lights sweeping the desert. Towers Mountain should be crawling with searchers.

Kass knows something is terribly wrong, but it isn’t until she reaches the closest town that the diary in her backpack and a newspaper in a diner reveal the truth: The unsolved disappearance of Kassandra Dyer was a big event – one of the most noteworthy events the town of Cave Creek, Arizona has ever seen. But it happened ten years ago – and for Kass, dressed in the same clothes she wore on the day she fell, no time has passed at all.

Now Kass has to figure out what happened; how she fell, where she went and what it will take to get back home – if she can. If she even wants to.

The good news is she’s got somebody on her side. The bad news is she’s got someone else on her tail, someone who wants her story and will do whatever it takes to get it.

THE UNSOLVED CASE OF KASSANDRA DYER, a crossover YA with elements of Magic Realism, is complete at 70,000 words. I have pasted the first x pages per your requirements.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Marcy Hatch

That's it.

Please save your feedback for tomorrow, and thank Marcy for sharing her query with us!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The critiquer will be critiqued!

Sarah said...

Yay Marcy! I'll be back tomorrow, but need to say right now: the premise is SO interesting!

Patchi said...

Ohhhh. I like it. I'll be back tomorrow.

Liza said...

This query sucked me right in! I'll be interested to see what tomorrow brings.

JeffO said...

Interesting. I'm just curious about one thing: what's 'crossover YA'?

Angela Brown said...

I've had the benefit of having Dianne and Marcy crit my first page for their First Impressions series. Glad Marcy's sharing her query and I look forward to the critique here.

Jess said...

I love Marcy's blog! Can't wait to see what feedback you give :)

farawayeyes said...

Appreciate Marcy's critiques. I want to read it NOW.

Also want to know exactly what is 'crossover YA?

Talli Roland said...

Interesting! I'll be back...

Bryan Russell said...

Love the concept.

Kim Van Sickler said...

Looking forward to the critique. Note to self, check back in tomorrow.

Megan Hand said...

Gave me goosebumps! Now I want to find out what happens to her :)

Suzie F. said...

I want to read this, Marcy!

Will check out your blog later today :)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I've already had some input into this query, so I'm anxious to see what everybody else thinks!

Angela Ackerman said...

All I have to say is this: I want to read this book! Will try to pop in tomorrow with a few bits and bobs, but this query is pretty good as is! :)

mshatch said...

thank you everyone and I hope you DO get to read this story! And thank you Matt for having me. I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say...